If ‘breaking the glass ceiling’ is what defines the unconventional success, then Indra Nooyi fits it to a T. The former Chairman and CEO of PepsiCo, Indra Nooyi is one of the fewest Indian women to reach the top of the ladder of success.
A self-proclaimed nerd, Nooyi was born into a conservative family of Madras, which is now known as Chennai. To continue her studies, she went to Yale University on scholarship. She excelled in academics and worked as a receptionist from dusk to dawn to fund her educational expenses.
With her hard earnings, she purchased the first business suit that she would wear for the job interviews. However, she got rejected because of her ill-fitted pants. She was disappointed until one of her professors advised her to wear clothes in which she feels comfortable.
For the next interview, she wore a saree and got selected at Boston Consulting Group. She became a global headline when she joined PepsiCo. During her 12 years tenure in PepsiCo, she boosted the company`s revenue while expanding its offerings to include healthier foods.
Because of her passion, persistence, and perseverance, Indira not only became the CEO of one of the largest companies in the world but also represented the most powerful businesswoman in the world.
Here are 5 inspiring quotes by Indira Nooyi that will give you a glimpse of what it takes to achieve success:
- I grew up with a mother who said, ‘I’ll arrange a marriage for you at 18,’ but she also said that we could achieve anything we put our minds to and encourage us to dream of becoming prime minister or president.
- At the end of the day, don’t forget that you’re a person, don’t forget you’re a mother, don’t forget you’re a wife, don’t forget you’re a daughter. Because in the end, no matter how much money you make & how much success you create, what you are left with is family, friends & faith.
- You can`t deliver value unless you anchor the company`s values. Values make an unsinkable ship. Code of conduct goes beyond legal compliance and every employee needs to be well versed with it.
- I am a mother first, then a CEO, and then a wife.
- Leadership is hard to define and good leadership even harder. But if you can get people to follow you to the ends of the earth, you are a great leader.
Women can achieve anything if they want. All it needs a true determination, a strong value system, and a belief in their dreams.